27 April 2016

Working on Revisions

As many of you know, I have been revising my Dragon & Hawk trilogy after regaining my rights. The titles have been changed, mainly because I wanted to make the series coherent as a group. Since much of the story deals with Reyna Montoya Svenson Jones (try saying that three times fast after a couple of margaritas!) and her skills as a curandera, I wanted the titles to reflect her unbreakable connection to nature. Even when the saga moves to the next generation, she is still a powerful influence.

Will this confuse the readers? Hopefully not. I clearly state these books are the THIRD edition of the story. What a journey they have had! Initially self-published, then picked up by a publisher, and now back to independent publication, they've been edited by at least four different people. Also, on each cover I have added this is book one, book two, etc. so people can read them in sequential order.

Why republish the same books? As I gained experience, I certainly hope my writing has improved. Tightening the prose, taking out some extraneous wordage, and clarifying scenes makes these editions better. At least, that's my goal. The covers are now obviously linked as a series also.

Originally, I wanted to have all three books out by the end of April, but as I listened to what you, the readers, have told me, I've added a couple of glossaries to the first two books. Book Three is now in its final revision and cover construction stage. I hope to have it in print by mid-May, but it will be out on Kindle sooner.

What takes so long if you're just repackaging the books? It's more than repackaging--it's nearly a total rewrite in some places. Book Two (previously Celtic Fire, Desert Rain / Our of Forgotten Ashes) needed further explanation as to how two people who love one another so deeply could not communicate.  Book Three, (previously Dragon's Blood /  Dragon's Legacy) needed stronger connection to the first two, and some unnecessary wordage removed. My Beta Reader has it now and will inform me as to whether that was a good thing or a bad thing. Fingers crossed, please.

In any case, it's been a wonderful ride with the Joneses. It's not over. Not by a long shot, but now they look and feel like a cohesive series to me. I hope readers will tell me what they think.

Happy Writing,

~Jude

No comments:

Post a Comment