01 January 2013

Starting the New Year

Oh my goodness, how the time has flown! Happy 2013, my friends!

Source
http://www.hogwild.net/images/Misc/jetsons.jpg
Didn't you think we'd be living like The Jetsons by now? Flying cars and houses way up in the sky? Heck, I thought we'd be off the planet's surface by 1999. But here we are, still happily held by gravity to an incredibly resilient Mother Earth.


The start of a New Year often motivates people to make Resolutions. I don't. I try not to make promises I can't keep and to me, a resolution is a promise. I will, however, Aim To Accomplish Some Things:

1) I solemnly swear I am up to no good .
For 2013, I aim to misbehave. Translation: I will kick up my heels and LIVE more freely. When the chance comes to run into the rain, I hope to take it. When an opportunity presents itself to act silly and dress up, I aim to seize it with both hands. Life is too short to be so damn serious.

2) I will work hard to maintain my health.
In 2012, I lost 60 pounds. My aim for 2013 is to keep it off and try to whittle off another 10-15 ...slowly. I don't want to be in pain as I grow older. I intend to walk all over Wales, Australia, Alaska, Argentina, Peru, New Zealand, Scotland, Ireland, Russia, and Spain before I am 70 years old.  (Well not ALL of Russia, just a big chunk.) Research for books in my head needs to include on-the-ground-locale recon, and you can't do that if your knees or hips are screaming. Yoga will be a more consistent part of my routine to keep increasing my ranges of motion. 

3) I will endeavor to learn more about my craft by reading more varied genres.
The process never ends, really. My reading has sadly taken a back seat to marketing and writing, so this year I hope to read more than ever. Even if it's in the bathtub at 2 AM.

4) The turkeys ain't getting me down.
I'm going to take the attitude of, "Meh, it isn't personal." Even if it is, I am going to practice blowing it off instead of blowing a gasket.  I have too many places to visit to be sidelined with a stroke.

So there you are, kids. My Aims To Accomplish for 2013. What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment