16 April 2012

What Did You Learn Today?

Remember those old Cracker Jack commercials of the late 1960s and '70s? I loved Jack Gifford, the gentleman who starred in most of them. My favorite was this one, called "Sharing":


Sharing is something authors either do freely or not at all. I've been at events where some authors refuse to even share a table, let alone information. While writing is a solitary endeavor, it doesn't have to be a lonely one. What does it hurt to tell another person about where you got your bookmarks, or where you met your agent, or whether a publisher is looking for new writers? I learn so much from being with other authors; I certainly don't mind paying it forward.

Just watching what others do to market their books has been enlightening. For example, fellow Champagne Author Rosemary Gemmell had an "Online Book Party" last Friday to celebrate the release of her new Young Adult (YA) or "Tween" novel, Summer of the Eagles. She had fun quizzes and a contest or two, and from my observation, had a good number of folks looking in and participating. I'll be trying my hand at this in a month or so, once I get other obligations out of the way. Out of Forgotten Ashes was just released on April 2nd, so we need to Par-tay!

Two other Champagne Authors--Julie Eberhart Painter and Allison Knight-- are joining me for a special chat on Coffee Time Romance's Yahoo group on Friday, April 27th. You have to join the group and be a member to participate, so sign up this week and then join us for a fun evening [from 6:00PM until 9:00pm Pacific Time] of contests, giveaways, and chit-chat about Welsh heroes, rogues, and other Rare Bits...

I'll soon be sharing more about other authors and writerly friends, doing interviews and book reviews. If you'd like to expand your reading list into new territory, be sure to check back in the next few weeks. Tucson author Jim Woods, a former big-game hunter who has written extensively on African safaris, will guest blog here throughout the first week of May.

2 comments:

  1. Agree 100% Jude and you're one of the most sharing person I've ever met. I've learned a lot from you. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and humor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks, Matt! I remember how I felt like such an idiot getting started. I had some wonderful advice from other authors -- and some not so helpful as well. Plus everything has changed so much in the past ten years, we're all learning as we go. :-)

    ReplyDelete