29 December 2011

Ketchup or Catsup or Catch Up?

When I was a child, there was only one kind of red tomato stuff in our house: Heinz Ketchup. True, we did live north of Pittsburgh so we might be a little biased. After all, the Heinz Factory was a compulsatory field trip for every elementary school in the entire Western Pennsylvania region and everyone had one of those "pickle pins" by age twelve, but their ketchup was the best. (Still is, in my humble opinion.)

When I was very young, I thought catsup was "cat soup" and I wouldn't touch it. Now according to a number of sources on the Internet, there is no discernible difference between ketchup and catsup. Both are made from tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, and other spices. But there is a difference in taste, at least to my mind: catsup always seemed more watery, tasted more vinegary, and never stayed on fries well enough to not drip down your shirt.
Oh and by the way, what's the best way to release ketchup faster from the glass bottle?
Apply a firm tap to the sweet spot on the neck of the bottle— the cicle with "57." Only 11% of people know this secret (from Heinz.com).

What's all this got to do with anything? Playing catch up at the end of the year always reminds me of ketchup, ketchup reminds me it's not made of cats, and Soup is wonderful to have for dinner in cold weather because it can cook all day in a crock pot, allowing you to catch up on all the stuff you've put off till now. See? Full circle.

To catch up with the month is a tough assignment this year. I'm closing my office after thirty years of chiropractic practice on Tucson's southside. Oh, I'll still see patients on occasion--by appointment only, please--but I'm slowing things down to slide into semi-retirement. It's rather depressing to see an empty office. Friday, December 30 is the last open day and we've been moving things out all month. My extra bedroom looks almost ready to be featured in an episode of Hoarders with all the artwork, reference books, shelves, filing cabinets, and furniture we've crammed in there--with more to come with the final haul on Saturday. Plus the usual holiday bustle, company, baking, etc, has me more than a little frazzled.

So thank you for your patience, Dear Readers, and I hope to blog more regularly in the new year. May 2012 be a good one for us all, even if the Mayans are right. (Personally, I think they just ended their calendar on December 21, 2012 because they figured people would know how to extrapolate future dates by then!)

Celebrate safely, responsibly, and enjoy ketchup on some tasty fries!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting that great tip about the ketchup bottle, Jude! We love Heinz tomato ketchup with certain foods and didn't know that neat trick. Have never heard of Catsup.

    Wishing you all the best for a happy, healthy and successful 2012. I can imagine your feelings about winding up your business, but enjoy having time to choose how much you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thank you Rosemary! Happy New Year to you in Scotland, glad to hear Heinz ketchup made it there as well! LOL Here's to more writing time for both of us in 2012!

    ReplyDelete