26 November 2011

On Being Thankful

A bit late for the official Day of Thanksgiving as originally suggested by George Washington in 1793, but I think one should pause and be thankful more often than annually. Keeping a Gratitude Journal is a great exercise in positive thinking: you list five things you are grateful for daily. The list can change of course, but the idea is to focus on the good things in life.

How important is it to have a positive attitude? Some health experts indicate it adds years to one's life. Being in the healthcare profession, I can see how those who are proactive get the best results. Two words that immediately irritate me to the core are "I can't":
"I can't go walking because my husband won't drive me to the mall."
"I can't exercise because it makes me short of breath."
"I can't walk outside because it's too hot, cold, dry, sunny, wet, rainy, windy, still, humid..."

Yes, there are times when one actually cannot do something. But so often is isn't a question of ability as lack of willingness to try.

Let's look at making that list: five things you are thankful for today. What's on mine? Well, I'm grateful my son came home for Thanksgiving and has had a happy week. I'm thankful I can move and exercise and walk to my heart's content. I'm happy to have a means to make a living. I'm thrilled for the rain and the sunshine we've had in the past three days. And I'm grateful for wonderfully encouraging people in my immediate circle of friends.

What's on your list today?

2 comments:

  1. I do like being positive and thankful, Jude! I'm thankful for my husband and grown up children, for being able to write and getting published, for enough food, clothes and lovely home, and for all my great friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rosemary. I'm sure your friends are grateful to have you in their lives too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete