25 June 2011

Keeping Up

Lordy, law! More than a week has passed since my last post...I've been a Baaad Blogger!

Time is so liquid. It oozes by on lazy summer days then gushes past, sweeping you into a new month and all too soon, a new season. I can work on writing, absorbed in crafting just the right expression and suddenly four hours have evaporated. Why can't we just move the hands on the clock back? Probably because all the clocks have gone digital!

Absorbed into writing...immersed under the surface of a different lake of time. I've been in the nineteenth century these past ten days, composing a nonfiction compilation of my research for Dragon & Hawk. Putting the Welsh movers and shakers of the Southern Arizona Territory into one book for a bit of a reference guide is quite a challenge, my first nonfiction work for possible publication. There is a small niche market for this, namely those of Welsh heritage who may be interested in how many of their compatriots made significant differences in the Old West.

But writing the tales of these folks sets me back. I have no idea of what's gone on this week in the news, nor do I care. (Well, I do care, just not at the moment.) I get obsessed with getting this finished, setting all the words on paper, getting the resources noted and credited correctly. To footnote, or not to footnote, that is now the question. Whether tis distracting to check the bottom of the page for a numbered resource or flip to the back of the book. Lately the trend heavily leans to no numbers at all, just marking the quote and source at the end.

So consider this post an advisory: if you don't hear from me for a few weeks, don't panic. Check Facebook, I may post a "I'm still alive" status, but otherwise I'm diving in and diving deep. I want to get this manuscript finished.

Have fun everyone!

~Jude

No comments:

Post a Comment