17 March 2011

A Way With Words

Ah, 'tis St. Patrick's Day, a day of smiling eyes and leprechauns, and lots o'blarney. There are many gifted cultures out there, but the Irish are right up at the top of the list of those who work magic with words. Every child (and naughty adults!) know about Limericks, lyrical poetry so fun to compose and recite, named for the town in mid-West Ireland in Country Limerick.

Then there are the toasts and sayings. Her's a  blog of toasts to tickle your fancy...
And of course, a few witty sayings:

May your home always be too small to hold all your friends.

There are many good reasons for drinking,
One has just entered my head,
If a man doesn't drink when he's living,
How the hell can he drink when he's dead?

May you have warm words on a cold evening, 
a full moon on a dark night,
and the road downhill all the way to your door. 

"Blue sky thinking" is a distinctive Celtic trait, especially evident in the Irish and the Welsh, and often credited for their tendency to jump headfirst into new endeavors without much thought about possible consequences. 'Tis the adventure of the journey that matters...

So here's to the Irish today!  Sláinte!

6 comments:

  1. Love the new blog, Jude! Great idea for maintaining contact with readers etc. http://romygemmell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. Like most adults, naughty or not, I love the suggestive rhymes of the Irish. And my maiden name is Irish, but not commonly associated with Ireland. So Happy day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Allison. I don't know what it is about an Irish lilt that seems to automatically make me smile. The Irish and the Welsh have the most musical way of speaking English... I could listen to them read phone books, mind you now. ;-)

    I'm going with a friend to Old Chicago tonight to finish a "mini-tour" of Irish brews. There's one cider I'm not looking forward to, but I've saved Harp for my final treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another wonderful post. We have very little Irish in the two of us, but the part we have celebrates and adores that whimsical wonder of everything Celtic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, the Celts are an incredible people! I think that's what I adore watching Craig Ferguson - just to see how silly and crazy he gets!

    ReplyDelete